Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Less than a month & counting!

As anyone who knows my in real life will attest- I am now officially a basketcase. I have fewer than 4 weeks before I travel to meet the Amazing Miss Isa. My to-do list is a mile long. My house is a complete wreck. My brain refuses to focus on any task longer than, oh, 2 minutes. It's the perfect storm in terms of emotion- anxiety over becoming a parent, the stress and anticipation of planning such a big trip, and the sheer bliss of getting to finally meet my daughter.

My mom, God bless her, is already having stress dreams about the trip. In the first one, we got to Toukoul (the orphanage) and were waiting for them to bring us Isa. One of the nannies came in and said "I'm sorry but she said she doesn't want to go with you." No amount of cajoling could help- the nanny insisted that Isa had told them that she didn't want to meet us. (Apparently my daughter is a very advanced 6 month old!)

I haven't had any crazy dreams yet, but I don't rule it out in the coming weeks.... I'm trying to avoid my favorite partners in crime (Ben & Jerry) because if I don't lose a few pounds, I'll have nothing to wear while in Ethiopia! Darn Hollywood writers' strike also means that my second favorite form of stress reduction, staring at the TV, is much less enjoyable. Without those two options, I'm at a bit of a loss. Granted, I could go the route of actually completing all the items on my to-do list. That is much too logical and efficient for me. *sigh*

If I can finish Isa's room this week/weekend, I'll post pictures. That is one of the fun things on my to-do list!

1 comment:

ferenge mama said...

Oh I can feel the mounting stress and excitement right through the internets. :-)

you are going to be FINE. you know this, of course, but it's helpful to say it out loud occasionally. :-)

I'm gonna give you a call later this week to hear all the gory details.